The Trials of Anakin Skywalker

20070721

A Sudden Death

The Geonosis night was still relatively quiet. I found Tarvis and asked for Kelian’s personal effects. He handed them to me without hesitation. I took Kelian’s lightsaber to bench and stared at it. Then I took it apart.

“Need spare parts?” Tarvis asked lightly.

“No,” I muttered. “I’m looking for something…” But, what?

Then I saw it. It was so small to the untrained eye, to someone not looking for it would have disregarded it. I pulled out a tiny chip and held it up. Tarvis peered over my shoulder.

“Well, whata know? A holo chip. Cleverly hid, too!” he said.

I slid the chip into the holo projector and the small holo sprang to life. Right from the start I knew this was recorded in secret with a hidden device. You could tell by the angles. There wasn’t any sounds, only images.

Whoever recorded this was talking to Dooku; I’m guessing Kelian. I’m not a lip reader, so I have no idea what Dooku was saying. He turned and another man appeared. This man was tall, with long black hair. A band of color went across his face, over his eyes. The back of my neck tingled. He looked very familiar. Very familiar indeed.

Warning bells went off in my head. My head snapped away from the holo. I sidestepped Tarvis and ran back down to Kalian’s holding cell and slid to stop before it. Kelian was laying on the floor, her eyes wide, a thin line of foam on her mouth. I cursed as I drop the shield and rushed in, Travis hot on my heels.

“Kelian!” I knelt down, checked her pulse and instantly jerked my hand back.

She was dead.

Travis opened her mouth. The remains of a poison capsule lay on her lounge. A quick acting one, that would have taken about thirty seconds to kill her. It was small and could be hidden under the tongue not dissolve till bitten into.

“Now why would she go and do that?” Tarvis muttered.

I noticed blood on her hand. I lifted her arm and written in blood from a self-made tear in the flesh of her finger was:

You will fail.

Posted by Skywalker :: 9:05 AM :: 13 Holos Received

Post a Comment