The Trials of Anakin Skywalker

20070310

Checking In

The hologram image of Obi-Wan looked at me with pensive eyes. “Interesting and perplexing. I sense there is more you’re not telling me.”

I shrugged. I had omitted the message I had received. Probably not a good idea, but I wanted to keep it myself until I had more answers. “That’s about it. Everything is going smoothly. In the four days I have been here, the revolts, protests have calmed down considerably. They simply needed a reminder of who was in charge here.”

Obi-Wan rubbed his chin. My tone displeased him, I could see that. “Well, don’t do anything that would- “

I cut him off. His lack of trust in me annoys me to no end. “You’ve read my reports. I haven’t done anything to embarrass the Order.”

He gave me that look. “I wasn’t going to say that. I was going to say, don’t do anything that would get you killed. It would be a shame for the Hero to get killed over something so simple as that.”

I could tell he was joking but still. With a halfhearted grin, I said: “Me, get myself killed? Now, Master, if I did that who save your backside all the time?”

“Nine times is hardly ‘all the time’,” Obi-Wan said, smiling back.

“Ten, you forget Cato Neimoidia. That makes ten.”

“Honestly, Anakin, do we have to go over that again? That doesn’t count. And I don’t know why you keep score.”

I leaned back on the console behind me. My mood lightened a great deal. “To see that particular expression on your face when it’s mentioned, Obi-Wan. That is why.”

“Always with the quick wit,” he said, shaking his head.

“You should try it. Wit, that is. Not sure about the ‘quick’,” I teased.

“Funny, Anakin, very funny.” His face fell serious again. “Do you remember our dealings with a criminal named Marusi?”

My mood shifted again. “How could I forget?”

“He’s been spotted in the city. The Counsel is very concerned about it. I’m going to meet a contact in the lower levels to get more information. I may be hard to get a hold for the next few days.”

With a nod, I thought that I would like to be there. I have unfinished business with Marusi. A long story for a different day but my face isn’t one he wants to see again. But right now this statue and its connection with Dooku are more important. He ranks much higher on my list of people to capture.

For a lot of reasons.

“Watch your back,” I started to say. “I would hate to have to come rescue and embarrass you for the eleventh time.”

“Tenth,” he said, not thinking.

I shot him an amused look. “I thought you said it was nine times.”

Obi-Wan laughed. “Uh, yes, well- “ He tossed his hands. “I’ll contact you later. If anything comes up on your end, inform the Temple immediately. May the Force be with you.”

“And you as well, Master.”

I should guilty for not telling him about the threatening message but I don’t.

I would regret that later on…

Posted by Skywalker :: 7:28 PM :: 13 Holos Received

Post a Comment