The Trials of Anakin Skywalker

20070205

Leaving

I rushed down the hallway to the turbolift to meet up with Commander Cody in the hanger bay with my eyes narrowed. I had just had the fastest, most uncomfortable conversation with Padme. As I predicted, she wasn't pleased. That sad expression on her face was going to haunt my dreams. I ended up getting snappy with her, which I hate doing because I love her. But sometimes, like I get, she doesn't understand.

I can't just tell the Counsel no, I can't go. My wife would like to spend more time with me, can I? I have thought about it, however. Sometimes, I get so frustrated I want just to lay it out for the Counsel and be done with it. But that would be one disastrous move for both of us if I did.

I can still be the Chosen One and fulfill my destiny if I’m not in the Jedi Order, can't I?

At least we would still have each other.

I rounded the corner and ran into the something short and small. It fell back and I had to step over them to keep from crushing them under my boots. I looked down at the small red headed youngling at my feet.

"Excuse me, Master Skywalker," Belda Pinik said, looking up at me.

I run her over and she apologizes to me, and then calls me Master. I had to smile at that. I like the sound of it. Master Skywalker.

I leaned down, picked Belda up and placed her on her feet. "I ran you over, little one, I'm the one that is sorry. Are you hurt?"

"No, sir," Belda said, blinking at me. "Are you hurt?"

Ruffling her hair, I stood up, my annoyance gone. Nothing like plowing down a nine-year-old to snap you back into focus. I smiled at down at her. "I'm fine. Thank you for asking."

Belda smiled and bowed. "Excuse me, Master, I have to go class now. I'm late."

I waved her on her way. Being late for class was grounds for trouble. I should know, I was late a lot. Extra lightsaber practice was never much of a punishment for me. Washing dishes in the kitchens, however, was.

I watched her disappear before I headed to the turbolift.

- - -

"General Skywalker, all the men are on board and everything is ready when you are," Commander Cody told me as I walked up the ramp of the Republic cruiser.

"Well, let's get this bird in the sky then, Cody," I said.

"Yes, sir."

I gave one last glance around the hanger, that uneasy feeling still in my guts. I almost expected D.J. to be on the catwalk above, ready to tease me about keeping my head. Of course, she wasn’t there. I frowned. There was still no word on her but I know her well enough to know she can take care of her self.

Inside the ship, I watched the ramp close, thinking about all the others that had disappeared in the last few months. I really feel that there should be more of effort by the Counsel to find the missing Jedi. And if there is, it's just another thing I'm painfully unaware of.

With a deep sigh, I turned and walked to the bridge.

Anakin’s Blog Reloaded

Posted by Skywalker :: 11:33 AM :: 10 Holos Received

Post a Comment