The Trials of Anakin Skywalker

20070302

Vader: A Conversation

Location: Deep space

Weeks ago…

She stares at me with her big eyes. I fully expect a hot gaze of hate coming from her but she does not. Instead, the look is full of alarm, which I find amusing.

“Was that necessary?” she asked, crossing her arms.

I stepped over the body of the storm trooper at my feet. “Yes, it was.”

“He messed up a simple order and you crush his throat. I would hate to see what you do to someone who really messes up,” she tells me, obviously disgusted.

I hardly need to explain myself to anyone much less this small wisp of a woman. But she challenges me and I refuse to step down from a challenge. I enjoy trying to make her see things from my point of view.

“I do not allow failure.”

“To make mistakes is what makes us human,” she comes back with. “I’m sure you have messed up.”

Well, I’m completely human anymore am I? I stood over her and stared down at her.

“I run my Empire with a strict hand, fail me and you suffer for it.”

She lifts her chin in that defiant way and smiles. “Your Empire, Lord Vader? I thought it was Sidious’.”

That is all a matter of time, little one, I thought.

“He may sit on the throne as Emperor, but it is he who wields the fist that truly rules,” I told her.

“And that would be you? I don’t think Sidious would see it that way, my lord.”

“I do not care what he thinks.”

Her head tilts. “I believe you have mentioned that before.” She walked away and went to stare out the window. “Do you care what I think?”

“Does it matter if I do or not? You will voice your opinions nonetheless,” I replied.

She laughs and looks over her shoulder at me. “And yet, you listen and I don’t find myself with my throat crushed.”

“I told you would not be harmed. I keep my word.”

“But what if I drew my lightsaber and held it against your neck?” she asked.

If she could see the face behind this mask, that question would never have been asked. “You would be pressing your luck severely.”

“I believe you,” she said, her smile fading.

I got the impression that she did not.

Posted by Darth Vader :: 7:35 PM :: 0 Holos Received

Post a Comment